Can my child play in Owen Sound? (Owen Sound Minor Hockey Group)

PrintCan my child play in Owen Sound?
HOUSE LEAGUE TEAMS (Initiation, Tyke)
Players who reside in the surrounding area may register to play House League hockey in Owen Sound.
A player must play in their Home Centre, which is the closest Centre, that offers a hockey program. Players who live in Owen Sound or are eligible to play in Owen Sound under the guidelines of OMHA 3.4 - Right of Choice can play representative hockey here.


What Does "Right Of Choice" mean?

A “Right Of Choice” is determined by measuring the distance 
    (on a well-travelled road.) from:
• the end of the players' laneway to the post office in Owen Sound and
• the end of the laneway to the post office in the next nearest Centre(s).

The difference between these two distances must not exceed eight (8) km. If it does, the player does not have the "Right of Choice" and must play in their closest centre.

If it is less than 8 km, the player has the right to choose which centre to play in and must complete a [Right of Choice] Declaration.

If a player lives within the TCDMHA protected boundary, they must play for TCDMHA.  Follow this [link] to their website for their defined borders, or this [link] to their map.  (Wait a few seconds and the boundary should appear in red).

There may be more than one centre that needs to be taken into consideration.
Once a R.O.C. is completed, the player must play in that centre unless released.
Shallow Lake - Use old post office for distance calculations
TCDMHA - Use Keady Arena for distance calculations.


Example #1 (Rockford) Example #2  (Jackson) 
- to Owen Sound Post Office (6.4 km)
- to next closest centre TCDMHA (16.1 km)
- to Owen Sound Post Office = 10 km
- to Shallow Lake Post Office = 10.8 km
- to TCDMHA = 10.0 km
- to Tara Post Office = 14.7 km
 Difference = 16.1 - 6.4 = 9.7 km Difference =
10.0 (Keady) - 10.0 (Owen Sound) = 0 km.
The distance difference is greater than 8 km, so you must play in the closest home centre (which in this case would be Owen Sound) The difference is less than 8 km, so the player has the "Right of Choice" and must fill out the right of choice form.
Complete rules and regulations in regards to OMHA Rules 3.3 (Residential Qualifications)
and Rule 3.4 (Right of Choice) may be found on the OMHA site at this [link]